What Did God Unleash This Weekend?
This past weekend, we unleashed 82 teenagers at GFC for our Grace Students Unleashed Weekend Retreat! This is the first weekend retreat we've hosted for our students in-house, and they had a blast.
The theme of the weekend was unleashing God's power in their lives, and the Student Ministry Team utilized resources from Disciple Now to facilitate dynamic teaching, small group discussion, and powerful worship experiences from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. On Saturday, teens were able to visit two of four breakout sessions on Social Media, Missions, Being a Godly Woman, and Being a Godly Man. Following the breakouts, laser tag and a fully-equipped game truck made an appearance for the afternoon.
This event would not have been a success without the many volunteers who dedicated their weekend to furthering relationships with students and encouraging them to invest time and energy in their spiritual growth. Long-time Student Ministry volunteer and father, Taft Simmons, said, "What a great event! I thought the kids were engaged through the worship, teaching, and small group time. The activities and games were fun and there was enough time built into the weekend to allow for relationships to be formed and enjoyed. Honestly, this is one of the few youth retreats I have come out of not feeling exhausted. I really thought our staff did a great job planning and executing a quality event."
Students had great things to say, as well. At the end of the weekend, we asked students to share what God unleashed in them this weekend. Here are a few of their responses:
- The ability to stand up for my faith
- Getting closer to God
- the Bible teaching
- God's power
- A desire to share the Gospel
- My relationship with God
- My fear of Josh Horton
- The ability to live without fear
- An open heart to God
- My real trust in God and the fact that all hope should be in Him
- The determination to spread God's glory and live my life right now for God!
- God's Word
- Prayer for others and not just myself
- Going further in my walk with Christ
- My faith
- A desire to spread the Word and tell people about Jesus
When asked what they learned, the growth and depth evident in their answers blew us away.
- God wants me to worship Him.
- I realized it's okay not to be like everyone else but to live like Jesus did!
- My relationship and passion for God grew while I was at this conference. I also learned not to be worried about what people think of me.
- Don't stay at the coffee shop - move to the Grand Canyon! ...be free in God's promises!
- I learned that God wants us to break out of our comfort zone and live a life set apart for him.
- I learned how to preach the Gospel to others and how to value moments with God instead of letting others in on them and how to find my joy and love in Christ instead of from others.
- This weekend I let God use me during our groups at the host homes.
- I learned to let God shine through me.
- God is always with us at all times.
- I now would like to read the Bible more and learn more about God.
- I learned to let go of my spiritual fears and to run through life, not tiptoe.
It's our prayer that God continues to unleash these truths and lessons in their hearts and lives as we get further from the conference. Please join us in praying for Grace Students and for those who met God in a big way this weekend!
Posted on Fri, October 31, 2014
by Grace Students