08-04-13-Same Sex Marriage Pt 2
Crucial Conversations: Same Sex Marriage (Part 2)
In the beginning Matthew 19: 4-6 Genesis 1:26-28 Genesis 2:20-24
History in the making Romans 1:24-32
Marriage is sacred and exclusive.
Everyone deserves respect and love.
Our deepest need is for God and the gospel.
No Bible Study Guide this week.
Slow Down to Speed Up
There’s something so frustrating about being stuck. Nobody likes to sit in a stalled-out vehicle – after all, vehicles are designed to move! Most of us hate wasting time, but maybe our constant busy pace is a bigger problem than we think. Could it be that moving around all the time can (ironically) get us stuck? Jesus seemed to think so – at least in the case of his good friend Martha. There is much for us to learn in our day from this short but powerful story.
Looking It Up
· Read Luke 10:38-42. If this is a familiar story to you, try to hear it with fresh ears. Perhaps read it in a translation you don’t normally read from.
· Imagine being Mary in this story. How might you have felt when Jesus arrived at your house? What would have been at the forefront of your mind? What might it have been like to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen? How might you have felt when your sister complained to Jesus about you?
· Now imagine being Martha. How might you have felt when Jesus arrived? What might have been at the forefront your mind? How might you have felt if you were left with all the work while your sister sat and visited?
· It is a little unusual that Jesus repeated Martha’s name in verse 41. Why might He have done that?
· What were the things Martha might have been worried and bothered about (vs. 41)? Was she right to be concerned with those things?
· What did Jesus mean when He said Mary had “chosen the good part” (vs. 42)?
· Who do you most relate to in this story? What can you do this week to begin to slow down and listen to Jesus?
Posted on Thu, August 1, 2013
by Tom Oyler