Frequently Asked Questions
One of the powerful aspects of baptism at GFC is the video testimony played right before your baptism. The recording allows you to share how Christ has been working in your life. Prerecording allows you to do as many takes as necessary, while sharing the message you have thoughtfully and prayerfully prepared ahead of time. You will simply read what you have prepared. Baptism is meant to be a public profession and it is your opportunity to share God’s message of redemption with numerous people. We believe that sharing your story can have a life changing effect on others.
Another important reason we do a video recording is that we as a congregation grow in our faith by hearing these stories. It allows friends, family, and even those you don’t know to celebrate how God has worked to bring you to a place of faith in Christ.
Some people are nervous about recording their stories, but we work hard to make the process both simple and fulfilling. You will be asked to attend a baptism interview where we go over everything you need to know about the baptism process in general, and the video-taping in particular.
- Prepare for your video testimony (see next question) by writing out how you came to believe in Christ as Savior. You will have no more than 60 seconds, which is approximately 150 words.
- Practice reading your testimony, making sure to maintain a steady pace with annunciation and expression. During your actual recording, you will be reading from a teleprompter.
- On the day of the recording, wear whatever clothing you are comfortable with on camera. Please do not wear the color green or a pattern of tight stripes as these will visually affect the recording.
PLEASE BE CLEAR ABOUT YOUR SALVATION:
Your walk with Christ is definitely a process, but you need to be able to express a point in time when you recognized that you were a sinner in need of a Savior. You don’t need to know an exact date and time, but there was a time when you received Christ, and you need to express that clearly.
WHAT TO SHARE:
You’ll have 60 seconds (approximately 150 words) to tell your story. The video recording will be conducted interview-style (you will be reading your pre-written answers from a teleprompter). You’ll be asked two questions. Here is a sample outline to help you organize your thoughts:
Question 1: “Tell us the story of how and when you came to trust Christ as your Savior.”
- Share briefly about your life before you trusted Jesus. (Depending upon your specific story, this may be 1 or 2 sentences.)
- Describe as best as you can the circumstances that led you to believe in Jesus and put your trust in Him alone for salvation. (This is the main part of your story.)
- Share briefly how Christ has affected your life since you trusted Him.
Question 2: “Who is baptizing you today and why?” (This should be 1 or 2 sentences.)
WHAT NOT TO SHARE:
- Please don’t say you have “always been a Christian.” This gives the idea that salvation is something someone can inherit. Becoming a Christian is about making a decision to trust Christ’s death on the cross as payment for your sin, not simply growing up in a “Christian home.”
- Please do not mention previous church denominations.
- Please don’t mention your infant christening, if applicable. It’s important to differentiate between your christening and the baptism taking place right now.
- Ask the Lord to give you wisdom and guidance in preparing and sharing your story.
- Write out what you will say and edit it until it feels comfortable. This will help you articulate what you’ll say and how you’ll say it in the recording.
- Practice, Practice, Practice.
- Be yourself.
- Email your written testimony to the person you had your baptism meeting with by the Wednesday prior to your scheduled recording date. He or she will work with you to finalize your script.
- Please wear your GFC Baptism T-shirt and something that can get wet. (Your T-shirt will be given to you the day of your baptism so you can change into it before the service.)
- Females: Please wear a swimsuit underneath your clothing. No skirts or short shorts please.
- Please bring a change of clothing and a plastic bag for wet items.
- Towels will be provided for you.
- Meet 45 minutes prior to the service for which you are scheduled (at either 8:30am or 10:15am). A GFC staff member or volunteer will meet you at your scheduled arrival time.
- Meeting location will be in the West Lobby alcove outside of the Worship Arts office.
- We will reserve seats in the Auditorium for you and your immediate family members.
- Please share this information with the person who will be baptizing you.
You will receive an email the week before your Sunday baptism with these day-of instructions along with contact information in case of emergency.